Instead of a vegetable stock cube cook the vegetables for 1hr in salted water, drain and add 575mls of white sauce sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese and return to the oven for 30 mins.
Number of servings: 4
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 11/2 hours
- 5 small potatoes chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 onion diced
- ½ turnip chopped
- 3 dessertspoons of peas
- 3 cloves of garlic
- pinch of salt if desired
- 400g tin of kidney beans
- 1 low salt vegetable stock cube
- 575mls of boiling water
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Fry the onions and garlic for 6 minutes. Slice potatoes and put a layer in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Layer the onion, garlic, vegetables and kidney beans.
- Repeat layering until the dish is full. Season between the layers.
- Finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 575ml of boiling water and add it to the casserole.
- Cover and cook in the pre-heated oven until vegetables are tender.
Keywords: Vegetable stock cube, vegetables, salted water, white sauce, breadcrumbs, cheese, oven.