Leftover potatoes could be used. Pork chops could also be used. If you have time why not make your own stock.
Number of servings: 4
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 dessertspoon of vegetable oil
- 9 lamb cutlets
- 2 large onions peeled and sliced thickly into rings
- 4 dessertspoons of peas
- 1 medium carrots chopped
- 5 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 low salt vegetable stock cube
- ½ pt/275ml of warm water
- 1 dessertspoon plain flour
- 2 dessertspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- pinch of salt
- ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C / 325°F.
- Partially cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 6 minutes, then slice thinly.
- Cook cutlets in a frying pan over a low heat for 5-10 mins until browned, turning once. Put on a warm plate.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook gently for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of juice from the pan.
- Scatter the flour in the pan and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Dissolve the Stock in 1⁄2pint of boiling water. Add the stock, worcestershire sauce and mixed herbs. Cook until thickened. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble: lightly grease a casserole dish. Lay half the potatoes on the base, then top with lamb cutlets, carrots and peas. Pour over the thickened stock and onions.
- Lay the rest of the potatoes on top.
- Cook in the oven for almost 45 minutes until cutlets are tender and the potatoes on the surface are golden.
Keywords: potatoes, pork