For a chocolate swiss roll simply replace 1oz of flour with 1oz of drinking chocolate. Try using low-fat crème fraiche with fresh strawberries chopped on top as a healthy treat!
Number of servings: 4
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 110g margarine
- 180g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 180g self-raising flour, sieved
Filling & decoration:
- warmed jam
- caster and icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place all the ingredients for the cake in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed. (3 minutes).
- Prepare the tin, by lining it with greaseproof paper.
- Put the mixture in the greased and lined swiss roll tin.
- Bake in the middle of the pre-heated oven for 12 minutes.
- Place a sheet of greaseproof paper on top of a damp tea-towel.
- Sprinkle lightly with caster sugar.
- Turn the Swiss roll out onto the sugared paper.
- Remove the paper from the bottom of the cake and trim the edges of the cake.
- Spread quickly with warmed jam and roll up using the greaseproof paper as a guide.
- When cold unwrap and sprinkle with icing sugar. If liked, mark the top with diagonal lines, using a hot skewer.
Keywords: Chocolate swiss roll, flour, drinking chocolate, low-fat crème fraiche, fresh strawberries.