Not all vegetables here need to be used. Select according to availability, choice and cost. If you have time why not
make your own stock.
Number of servings: 4
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 11/2 hours
- 8 small chicken portions
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 5 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 celery sticks trimmed and sliced
- pinch of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red pepper sliced
- low salt chicken stock cube
- 275ml of warm water
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown half the chicken pieces thoroughly on all sides. This will take about 12 minutes. Remove with a spoon, then fry the remaining pieces. Remove and set aside.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 275mls of warm water.
- Fry the onion, carrots, celery and red pepper over a medium heat for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown. Stir in the chilli powder, pepper, herbs, tomatoes and stock.
- Return the chicken to the pan, season to taste and bring to the boil. Place in a casserole dish.
- Cover and cook in the centre of the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes until the meat is very tender.
- To serve: Sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley.
Keywords: Vegetables, stock